Happy Monday, friends! I hope everyone had a good weekend. Our’s proved busy, but because of fun activities like multiple grilling sessions with friends and Nathan’s triathlon, which I’ll get to soon.
My Monday’s off to a truly marvelous start for a couple reasons.
- We have our 32-week appointment this morning. Baby Girl seems to be growing like a weed, so I’m looking forward to finding out how she’s measuring and, as always, hearing her heartbeat.
- I put these little guys in the mail this morning.
Thank-you cards and I have a rocky relationship. No lie, over 6 months passed before I sent out the ones from our wedding. Knowing Baby Girl will consume 99.999% of my attention once she arrives, I’m getting a jump on these now. If not, she might be 6 (years old) before they get sent.
Speaking of thank-you cards, my sister’s threw a sweet shower for us last weekend. With all the post-vacation sharing this past week (Niagara & the Adirondacks), I’m just now able to give you the rundown.
We ate. In my family, shower food’s kept simple with cake, punch, nuts, and mints. At the past few baby showers, trail mix replaces the nuts; this because of a fun little inside joke from my older sister’s first pregnancy.
We played a few games
- Gift Bingo
- Guesstimate How Big Jaclyn’s Belly Is
- The Attribute Game. This proved my favorite of the day. Whitney, my younger sister, listed 15 attributes (eyes, hair, etc.), and each person had to guess whose, Nathan’s or mine, I hope Baby Girl gets. For fun, here’s my responses:
- Eyes – mine
- Ears – mine
- Nose – Nathan
- Legs – mine. Obviously I hope she gets feminine-looking limbs
- Hair – Nathan
- Smile. At the time, I said mine, but after looking back at pictures I took of him this weekend, mid-triathlon, I hope she gets his. In the midst of all that effort and pain, his smile still looked good
- Intelligence – Nathan
- Humor – mine, because Nathan’s already been practicing his dad jokes. You know the ones.
- Feet – mine.
- Toes – mine.
- Cheeks – mine. I’m 1/16th Native American and really hoping she inherits my higher cheek bones.
- Chin – Nathan
- Skin Tone – Nathan
- Athleticism – mine. Ha, that attribute’s a laugh, which is why Whitney included it in the list. While Nathan thought I was athletic upon first meeting me, let’s just say I unknowingly tricked him. Yes, I enjoy exercise and being active, but there’s a large gap between working out and being considered ‘athletic’. However, he’s not Mr. Athlete either, so Baby Girl doesn’t have much hope. My rationale for choosing mine? Her aunt and uncle, my siblings, played college sports. Maybe she’ll inherit some of that.
- Confidence – mine
I opened presents (with spectacular help from my niece, of course)
And received a wealth of motherly wisdom & insight
I’m beyond grateful that my sister’s invested time and effort to throw this shower for Baby Girl and me. They’re two pretty awesome (and hilarious) people, so you know it was a fun afternoon.
That happened last weekend. This weekend was all about Nathan’s triathlon. I know I said he wasn’t Mr. Athlete, but I really should bite my tongue. Exercising for 3+ hours straight, in multiple modalities, requires immense endurance, coordination, and mental fortitude. And that’s just during the actual competition; not to mention the months of training leading up to the big event. Here’s (more than) a few pics from the day…
He seriously rocked it! I couldn’t be more proud of my guy.